As they prep for the fifth annual Paint Herndon event, to take place this Saturday, ArtSpace was overjoyed to announce Thursday that Volkswagen of America, headquartered in Herndon, had granted the arts group one of its famous "Doodle Bug" cars to make into a work of art.
The Doodle Bug is a brand-new 2013 Volkswagen Beetle with one unique feature - its body is made out of "wipe board" material so that people can take markers to it and decorate it any way they like, and then drive it around and show it off.
"The Doodle Bug is a Volkswagen Beetle wrapped in white vinyl to enable a dry-erase canvas," Volkswagen representatives explained.
The Doodle Bug will be on loan to ArtSpace Herndon for one month - as well as driven around town and parked in public places to be shown off - and locals will be able to "demonstrate their artistic talent" on the car at the fifth annual Paint Herndon event this Saturday, Sept. 21.
Town of Herndon Mayor Lisa Merkel; Harlon Reece, president of the Herndon Foundation for the Cultural Arts; and Ann Rust, wife of Herndon's Delegate Tom Rust and a member of Senator Mark Warner's staff; were all on hand Thursday afternoon when Volkswagen representatives dropped off the Doodle Bug at ArtSpace - and, of course, they couldn't resist testing it out by making a few doodles of their own on the car.
Paint Herndon promises to be another fun-filled day for families as it kicks off at 9 a.m. Saturday at ArtSpace, 750 Center Street in downtown.
Just a few of the fun events to take place are:
- A painting competition with three different age levels for children and adults ages 8 and up
- Hands-on art activities for children and people of all ages
- Doodling on the Doodle Bug
- Creating paper collages and artist trading cards with recycled and repurposed materials
- 'Paint like Jackson Pollack' activity for ages 3-8
- Portrait demonstration with portrait artist Cecilia Aquino
- Ink painting demonstration with artist Robert Bernhards
- Make an origami book or zine
Other fun, non-art activities also include:
- Visit with animals up for adoption with the Lost Dog & Cat Rescue Foundation
- A dance and choreography workshop
- A reception and award ceremony from 3:30-6 p.m. to celebrate ArtSpace's birthday
- "Design & Wine" event from 7-10 p.m. for 21 and older which includes a workshop on painting ($30 per person)
For even greater detail and the exact times each of these activities will take place on Saturday, visit the Paint Herndon page on ArtSpace's website.
Will you be attending Paint Herndon this Saturday? Tell us in the comments.
FOLLOW HERNDON PATCH FOR THE LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS!Facebook | Twitter | Daily & Breaking News E-mail Updates