Several school and government services and community activities are being canceled Friday in anticipation of afternoon snow.
The Capital Weather Gang anticipates 1 to 2 inches of snow will fall between 2 and 5 p.m. Friday.
The service predicts "snow will begin during the mid-afternoon and taper off in the evening. Snow may be moderate to locally heavy at times during the late afternoon and early evening."
Roads will become snow covered and slippery, the service says, "resulting in hazardous travel during the afternoon and evening commute."
The following services and activities in and around Vienna are affected as of 11:10 a.m.:
- Fairfax County Public Schools will close two hours early.
- Herndon Community Center is open and plans to continue classes as scheduled today, except for the 8:15 p.m. Kendo class.
- Fairfax County Government offices and the Fairfax County Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court remain open at this time and each court will make their own decision about any early closing.
- The Herndon Fortnightly Library remains open for now under its normal hours, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Call 703-938-0405 or visit its website to check its status throughout the afternoon.
- Fairfax Connector bus service is operating normally, but "may be affected by the inclement weather," the county says. Check the Connector Web page at www.fairfaxconnector.com or call 703-222-9764 for any operating changes.
- For those with questions about Fairfax County Park Authority facilities, contact the site directly, call the Parks inclement weather line at 703-324-8661, TTY 711, or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks.
More on snow:
- Tips for Driving in the Snow
- Winterize Your Vehicle
- FCPS Inclement Weather Plans
- Town of Herndon Snow Removal Procedures
- Fairfax County Emergency Information Blog
- Virginia Traffic Information
Patch will update this with more service and road closures as they happen.