With a major thunderstorm and possible derecho forecast for Wednesday night and Thursday, safety and preparedness should be top of mind for Northern Virginia residents.
In addition to signing up for the Patch breaking news and daily email newsletters, which you can do at the top of this post, here are some of the blogs, websites, and social media accounts you should follow.
As a preparation step, download a Twitter and Facebook app to your mobile devices and follow these accounts.
Fairfax County Social Media
- Read the Fairfax County emergency blog for constant updates.
- Follow emergency management on twitter @fairfaxcounty.
- Fairfax County officials will be using the hashtag #ffxstorm on Twitter, so follow that hashtag.
- Follow Fairfax County on facebook.
- Also follow Fairfax County Patch sites @fairfaxcopatch.
- Follow the National Weather Service on twitter @usNWSgo.
- Follow the Virginia Department of Emergency Management on twitter @vdem or on Facebook.
- Also follow Northern Virginia Patch Weather on Facebook — we'll be posting our latest regional stories there.
- Follow the Capital Weather Gang blog by the Washington Post or twitter @capitalweather.
- Follow @FEMARegion3 for additional information in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Follow Dominion Power @DomVaPower.
- Dominion Virginia Power is also on Facebook.
- Follow NOVEC @NOVEC.
Your Refrigerated and Frozen Food
If you lose power, how long will that cheese stay good? What about your stocked freezer? Find out here.
We know there are more valuable Twitter, Facebook and other social accounts out there. Add your suggestions to the comments section below!
Stay up-to-date on the latest news and events in your local neighborhood - follow Patch!