Herndon Fire Causes an Estimated $20K in Damages

Herndon house fire was started by a curling iron.

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department responded to a house fire on Saturday, March 17 at about 10 a.m. that resulted in an estimated $20,000 in damages. 

The home is located in the 2400 block of Michael Lawrence Place, where firefighters saw smoke and fire coming from the back of the home when they arrived. The fire was in an upstairs bedroom and was extinguished in a short time, and then overhaul and salvage operations were conducted to make sure the fire hadn't spread further. 

Three adults have been displaced because of the fire and Red Cross assistance was declined. One adult female and one adult male were taken to Reston Hospital Center for non life-threatening burns they received while trying to extinguish the fire. 

Fire investigators reported the accidental fire was started by a curling iron that was placed to close to clothing. 

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department offers the following small appliance fire safety tips: 

  • Immediately fix appliances or lamps that sputter or spark.
  • Keep appliances away from wet areas, especially in the kitchen, bathroom, basement, and garage.
  • Keep appliances away from combustibles.
  • Use extension cords wisely and don’t overload them; make sure the plastic is not worn away or coming apart.
  • Never use an extension cord as permanent wiring.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »