"When the early church got together and lifted up its voice in agreement the power of God came to them. After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.” - Acts 4:31
“The kingdom of God is not coming with things that can be observed; nor will they say, ‘look, here it is!’ or ‘there it is!’ for in fact, the kingdom of God is among you.” - Luke 17: 20-21
Come Sinners, Saints and Spanish Speaking Volunteers!
LINK seeks 4,000 new unwrapped toys
LINK has volunteers on standby ready to shop for additional toys through Saturday 12/15
Non-perishable groceries requested to replenish depleted cupboards
As Christmas nears, LINK continues to see an outpouring of generous giving from the local community. Here are some highlights –
· Sterling Playmakers production of Cinderella chose to ask patrons to donate canned goods to LINK in exchange for a discount on ticket prices.
· Sterling United Methodist Church conducted "Operation Keep 'em Covered" and collected hundreds of diapers which were donated to LINK.
· Polycom’s Herndon Office chose to donate their fund for employee snacks ($1,500) to LINK in November.
· Southland Industries volunteered to collect food for us in November and enjoyed it so much that they extended their efforts into December.
· Sterling United Methodist Church had a “Potato Drop” of over 40,000 pounds of potatoes. They donated 4,500 pounds to LINK and the remainder went to over 40 other organizations. The potatoes were provided through the Society of St. Andrew, a mission organization dedicated to feeding the hungry.
· Jake S., a local youth from Sterling, decided to give back to LINK to support the Toy Collection for Christmas. He asked his August birthday guests to bring gifts for LINK instead – what a wonderful way of giving back!
· 6 Schools and Counting – LINK added another elementary school to its “Rescue the Food” program. Hutchison Elementary is rescuing food from the cafeteria lunches and donating it to our community. If you would like to help us collect the food from Hutchison, go to:
www.SignUpGenius.com/go/904044EA9A7292-school. Other schools participating are – Armstrong, Clearview, Dranesville, Herndon, and Newton-Lee.
· Mobile Food Pantry #4 – We will have our monthly Mobile Food Pantry on Tuesday, Dec. 11th from 3 – 5 pm in the rear parking lot of Christ the Redeemer Church (46833 Harry Byrd Hwy., Sterling). Volunteers are still needed and we’d love to have some youth join us!! To sign up, go to: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/904044EA9A7292-link7. If you would like a flyer to distribute, advertising the event – just let the LINK president know.
· Businesses Give Back to LINK and the Community – Many local businesses are conducting food and toy drives for LINK – COSTCO, REHAU, Polycom, N.E.W. Corporation, LSI-Spatial Data Solutions, Loudoun Hounds, Reston Hospital, Airbus, Classical Ballet Theatre, Coulter, Oberthur Technologies, Pure Integration, Witt Mares, Trevors Run Apartments, and others. We also have schools participating and Scouting groups.
· Stockings for seniors – one of our local Girl Scout Troops is coordinating a program called “Stockings for Seniors/Singles” for LINK. They have created stockings and have asked area hotels to donate toiletry items to put inside.
LINK also has a wish list for this holiday season and we’d love to share it with you!
· Food is needed for the Christmas Holiday Program. LINK cupboards need refilling for our December 15th event. Here is a list of what we need:
· Canned fruit
· Rice & rice products
· Peanut butter & Jelly
· Pasta and pasta sauce
· Stews and hearty soups
· Canned meats
· Canned potatoes
· Tomato products
· Canned beans – like black beans, pinto beans, etc.
4,000 new Toys are needed for the Christmas Holiday Program. We have over 1,800 children (newborn – 16 year olds) registered and we would love to be able to give them two toys each. Recommended gifts are baby dolls and toys, sporting equipment such as soccer balls, footballs, and basketballs, trendy costume jewelry or handbags, personal hygiene sets for both sexes, hats, scarves and glove sets, backpacks, sleeping bags, board games, chess set, and DVDs of newly released movies. If you would like to coordinate a toy drive for LINK, email us – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteers are needed for the week of December 10 – 15th. The days where help is still needed are Thursday AM at 2 locations, Friday AM & afternoon at 3 locations, Saturday early shifts at 2 locations and Saturday afternoon shifts at HUMC. To sign up, go to: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C054CAAAE2DAB9-link2/993582
Like to Sew? LINK has received gently-used coats that need some repairs to make them ready for someone to use. If you would like to donate your time to help us repair zippers, etc. – send an email to – Volunteer@linkagainsthunger.org or call 703-973-4444.
Have Items to Donate? One drop-off location in Herndon is Del. Tom Rust’s office located on the 2nd floor of Town Hall and the doors are open 8-5. You can also contact us at Holiday@linkagainsthunger.org to find out other drop-off locations.
Looking for something to do at Home? LINK has received some large (really large) bags of rice and we need to break it down into small Ziploc sized bags and put cooking instructions on the outside. Great job to do at home! Email us if you are interested – Volunteer@linkagainsthunger.org.
God bless our great community.