If you're looking to celebrate Independence Day with your family there are many options from local to a short drive away. Check out our list of area events.
• The Town of Herndon’s Fourth of July Celebration begins at 5 p.m. Monday, July 4 at Bready Park with small rides, bounce houses and more. At 6:30 p.m. festive food will be on sale and games, bingo, arts and crafts activities and more will begin. The fireworks will begin at 9:30 p.m. and will be choreographed to music. Bring a blanket or a lawn chair!
• Cost – Free, though some portions will have an associated cost.
• Bready Park – 814 Ferndale Ave, Herndon
Fourth of July Celebration at Claude Moore Park
• On Monday July 4 from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Claude Moore Park will offer pony and wagon rides, musical entertainment, and songs and skits from The Wizard of Oz. Other activities will include face painting, children’s crafts, nature exhibits, Historic Lanesville House tours, Reptiles Alive shows, food and drinks and more.
• Cost - $5 per person for those 5 and older. Free for children 4 and under.
• Claude Moore Park, 51544 Old Vestal’s Gap Road, Sterling
Leesburg Independence Day Celebration
• Leesburg’s Fourth of July celebration starts on Monday, July 4 with a parade beginning at Ida Lee Park and traveling through downtown, down King Street. The parade will be followed by a Celebration in the Park with food, music and a fireworks display in the park at 9:30 p.m. The parade starts at 10 a.m. and the park celebration starts at 6 p.m.
• Cost – Free.
• Ida Lee Park Recreation Center, 60 Ida Lee Drive, Leesburg
• Ashburn Village will hold its annual fireworks display at 9:30 p.m. on Monday, July 4. The fireworks can often be seen from many surrounding neighborhoods. The rain date for the fireworks is July 5.
• Cost – Free.
• Ashburn Village Sports Pavilion, 20585 Ashburn Village Boulevard, Ashburn
Morven Park Fireworks and Romance
• Attendees can watch the fireworks being lit at Ida Lee Park from the viewpoint of the Morven Park Mansion, as well as view other area fireworks displays on Monday, July 4. Local wines and foods associated with love will be served during the event. There is limited seating on the portico of the mansion on a first come, first served basis, and unlimited seating on the lawn.
• Cost - $50 per person, reservations required.
• Morven Park, 17263 Southern Planter Lane, Leesburg
• The Lake Newport Pool will host a July 4 celebration from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday, July 4. The event will include a DJ, contests, prizes and food available for purchase. The event will be canceled in the case of rain.
• Cost – Free, open to all.
• Lake Newport Pool, 11601 Lake Newport Road, Reston
• Lake Fairfax Park will open at 7 a.m. on Monday, July 4. The Water Mine will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and usually hits capacity around noon. Vendors will be on hand with food and treats. Other attractions include pony rides, a petting zoo, moon bounces, field day family games, carousel and more. The fireworks will begin at about 9:15 p.m.
• Cost – Free to enter the park, some attractions have an associated cost.
• Lake Fairfax Park, 1400 Lake Fairfax Drive, Reston
City of Fairfax Carnival, Parade and July 4 Celebration
• The City of Fairfax will host a on the July 4 weekend with rides, music and games. The will take place on July 2, 3 and 4 from 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. The city will also hold an from 10 a.m. to noon on Monday, July 4, and an will be held at Fairfax High School that night, which will include a .
• Cost – Fireworks and parade are free, there are associated costs to the carnival.
• Multiple locations include University Drive in downtown Fairfax for the parade and carnival, and Fairfax High School for the fireworks. See event links for details.
For more information on area Fourth of July events, check out the Visit Fairfax event calendar to see what's happening in your area.