1) It's Yard of the Month season in Herndon and town residents can nominate their own or their neighbor's yards for the award. Yard of the Month recognizes residents whose yards contribute to the beautification of their neighborhood and the town. Winners receive gift certificates to Meadows Farms and are recognized at Herndon Town Council meetings. Nominations for the June Yard of the Month award are due by May 15. For information on nomination criteria and submission information, visit the Town of Herndon website here.
2) Station Street between Elden and Lynn streets will be closed for utility work on May 8. Additionally work will start on May 7 in the 800 and 900 block of Grant Street and the 600 block of Fillmore Street as Columbia Gas replaces the main natural gas line. The project is expected to take 20 work days with work being completed between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. For more information, contact Columbia Gas at 1-804-768-6463 or the town's operations center at 703-435-6860.
3) Supporters of the Northern Virginia Training Center are gathering at on Thursday night from 6-9 p.m. for a guest bartending fundraiser to help keep the NVTC doors open. The evening will include entertainment, prizes and more. Raffle tickets will be available for $5 each at the door. To learn more about NVTC, visit the nonprofit organization's website online.
4) is seeking more tech support to build the sets needed for the group's next musical, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Set construction will begin in the Elden Street Players shop in Sunset Business Park in June, the set will be loaded into the theater in July and the show will open August 3. Construction activities are scheduled according to volunteers' schedules. Those interested should contact Elden Street Players at email@example.com.
5) The at its next meeting on Wednesday, May 9. The Rotary Club of Herndon meets each Wednesday morning at 7:30 a.m. at Amphora's Diner Deluxe. For more information about Rotary meetings, email firstname.lastname@example.org.