"In our experience, it is unrealistic to expect that a complex, full-service food operation can routinely avoid any violations,"according to Virginia Department of Health's website.
The site continues: "Keep in mind that any inspection report is a 'snapshot' of the day and time of the inspection. On any given day, a restaurant could have fewer or more violations than noted in the report. An inspection conducted on any given day may not be representative of the overall, long term cleanliness of an establishment."
Sizzling Express, 13861 Sunrise Valley Dr
Aug. 16, 2013, two critical violations:
- The following food item was observed cold holding at improper temperatures using a calibrated food temperature measuring device: Right 2 Door Prep unit.
- (Certain) ready-to-eat food that is made using a combination of ready-to-eat, potentially hazardous ingredients is not properly dated for discard using the date of the first-prepared ingredient.
Chicken Rico, 1254 Elden Street
Aug. 15, 2013, one critical violation:
- There is no Certified Food Manager present at the beginning of the inspection. The manager's CFM card expired on August 9th.
Hunan Cafe, 1246 Elden St
Aug. 15, 2013, eight critical violations:
- There is no Certified Food Manager present at the beginning of the inspection.
- Upon discussion with the person-in-charge, one or more of the elements of an effective employee health policy is either missing or incomplete. A complete employee health policy is required to be in place at the food establishment. At the time of this inspection, the Health Department provided and reviewed handouts and resource information in a red folder labeled "Employee Health Policy." New employees.
- A food handler was observed drinking water from a bottle while in the kitchen.
- Different types of raw animal foods stored in such a manner that may cause cross contamination as follows: Raw chicken above beef and raw shell eggs.
- The following food items were observed cold holding at improper temperatures using a calibrated food temperature measuring device: Fried chicken 62F, 59F, cooked beef 49F--prep top left. Bean sprout 52F (just changed water) --Prep refg left. Note: Put inside refrigerator.
- The following food item for which time rather than temperature is used as a control is not marked or otherwise identified to indicate the time that is 4 hours past the point in time when the food is removed from temperature control. Garlic mixed with oil not marked with time.
- Pesticides labeled for residential use were observed in the facility and are being applied by the operator to control pests. Home Defense for roaches and ants. Note: Put it out for owner to take it home.
- Observed mice dropping in dry storage area and live roach in dining area.
Waku Chicken, 458 Elden Street
Aug. 15, 2013, three critical violations:
- Equipment food-contact surfaces/utensils were not observed cleaned before any possible contamination.
- Food items were observed cold holding at improper temperatures using a calibrated food temperature measuring device.
- Raw and/or undercooked foods are provided on the menu, menu board, table tent or brochure without proper disclosure.