That's when the next drawing is scheduled for Powerball, the multi-state lottery that has soared once again past the $100 million mark. As of Tuesday, the mega-lottery was up to $108 million.
If you match all five white balls, plus the powerball, you win. After taxes, the Virginia Lottery estimates you'll take home $61 million.
What are your chances? Oh, about 1 in 175,223,510. But, it's fun to play, and who knows?
Here are some tips on playing Powerball, from the folks at the Virginia Lottery:
- Choose your own numbers on a play slip. Select five different numbers from 1 through 59, then select one Powerball number from 1 through 35.
- Or, you can play Easy Pick and let the computer choose your numbers.
- Or, you can use a combination of these play methods - pick some of your favorite numbers and let the computer fill in the rest.
- Each play (six numbers) costs $2.
- Powerball draws are held Wednesday and Saturday at 11 p.m.
- All prizes, except the jackpot, are fixed dollar amounts. The jackpot total is dependent on the amount of money in the draw's total prize pool.
Northern Virginia is A Good Place to Play the Lottery
Northern Virginians have been lucky with the lottery in recent months.
Last year, Brian McCarthy of McLean, who grew up in Herndon, won $107 million in the Virginia Lottery after buying a ticket in Herndon. He donated $25,000 each to two local charities during a press conference about his win.
In February, a Fredericksburg couple claimed the second-largest Virginia Lottery Prize ever.
In addition, people from Falls Church, Arlington and elsewhere have won $1 million in the past year. And in January, a winning lottery ticket was purchased in Burke.
Most grocery stores, gas stations and convenience stores are Virginia Lottery retailers. In Herndon, you can visit your local 7-11, Giant or Safeway, plus many more.
Visit the Virginia lottery website here and type in your zip code to find the place closest to you.
What would you do if you won? Would you quit your job? Travel? Go shopping? Tell us in the comments!
FOLLOW HERNDON PATCH FOR THE LATEST NEWS AND EVENTS!Facebook | Twitter | Daily & Breaking News E-mail Updates