Improperly Disposed Fireplace Ashes Cause Accidental Herndon House Fire
Fireplace ashes were placed near combustible materials in the garage of the home.
A fire at 908 Young Dairy Court in Herndon Thursday started with improperly disposed fireplace ashes.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue said the fire began at about 9:55 a.m. on Thursday. Firefighters arrived and found smoke and fire coming from the garage and the roof of the two-story home. They also encountered arching power lines.
The fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes. The three residents of the home were able to escape the fire unharmed when the smoke alarms in the home were set off. Red Cross is assisting the four occupants who have been displaced due to the fire.
Damage to the home is estimated at $120,000. According to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue, the accidental fire started when fireplace ashes were placed near combustible materials in the garage.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue provided the following fireplace ashes safety tips:
- Do not discard your ashes into any combustible container such as a paper or plastic bag, a cardboard box, or a plastic trash can.
- Do not place ash containers on decks, porches, or in garages.
- Put ashes into a non-combustible metal container with a lid.
- Pour water into the container to make sure the ashes are cool.
- Keep your can OUTSIDE the home, away from your fireplace or stove.
- Teach all family members to be safe with ashes from your fireplace or stove.